PSN Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just a place for PSN friends to chat and meet new people, swap downloads and much more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3 Simple Golf Swing Tips – Short Game

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sdd

3 Simple Golf Swing Tips – Short Game Empty
PostSubject: 3 Simple Golf Swing Tips – Short Game   3 Simple Golf Swing Tips – Short Game I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Why is that most amateur golfers flock to simple golf swing tips that have to with driving the golf ball? Reality is that you will hit more shots from inside 150 yards during any given round, than you will hit with a driver off the tee.

Over the years I have noticed that amateur golfers spend more time working on driving the ball than any other aspect of their game. This may have much to do with the amount of emphasis that is placed on hitting drives 300 yards or more by the pros.

Don't get me wrong, being able to hit solid drives is an important part of the game. The thing is that we actually will more shots from inside 150 yards during a round of golf than we will with a driver.

At most you will hit 14 shots off the tee with your driver, but will end up hitting a minimum of 14 shots from inside the 150 mark. And that is only if you hit every green, which even the pros don't hit every green during a round.

The majority of the shots you will take inside of 150 yards will actually be inside of 100 yards and that is what I want to go over.

I spent hundreds of hours working on my short game and have developed some simple golf swing tips that have helped me improve my game and ultimately lower my scores.

I have shared these simple golf swing tips with a few of my golfing buddies and they have found them helpful too.

Check out these 3 simple golf swing tips that have helped my game.

1.) Know Your Distances- Many golfers think they know how far they can hit shots with each club, but I have found that this is not the case. If you don't know how far you hit shots with each club, you will never know the right club to use for any given yardage.

This may sound trivial, but do you really know how far you can hit your 7, 8 or nine iron? If I had to guess, I would say that you don't. Over the years I realized that I needed to know even more about distances and so I practiced shots using a ? swing and a ? swing so I knew what distances I could expect. I actually carried a notebook with me to be able to record results. These days I rely on my trusty GPS.

2.) Know the Yardages- I know this probably sounds like the same as above, but you need to know how far it is to the front, center and back of the green.

If you are old-school and using the yardage markers on the course, then you need to know that the stakes marking the yardage to the green are marking the yardage to the center of the green. If you are using a GPS then you will have knowledge of not only those distances, you will have exact yardage to the flag.

3.) Choosing the Right Club- This is where the fun comes in. There are going to be times when you are going to be in-between clubs. Of course, then you have to decide which club to use. Some golfers will try to get a bit more out of their clubs, but I have found that this is not the best choice, at least for me.

When faced with a shot that is in-between clubs, I like to go with a bit more club. The reasoning behind this is that it is much easier to take a little off, than it is to get more out of a shot. The way I see it, is I can choke down on my club a bit or I can take a little less swing and still hit a solid shot. I have found that whenever I try to get an extra 5 yards out of a shot I end up pulling the shot and missing the green.

To recap the 3 simple golf swing tips I covered, know how far you can hit a full shot, ? and ? swing shots with each of your short irons. I practice from 7 iron through sand wedge on a regular basis just to make sure. I also spend time with a gap wedge when I have the time.

Make sure you know your distances to the front, center and back of the green and choose the club that best fits for the yardage. I tend to play to the center of the green distance because I would rather be putting then chipping. Use more club than you need and take less swing or grip down on the club to adjust for the distance.

Back to top Go down

3 Simple Golf Swing Tips – Short Game
Page 1 of 1